Tuesday 17 September 2013

Dental Sealants: Keeping your Child's Teeth Healthy


Dental sealants act as a barrier to prevent cavities. They are a plastic material usually applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth (premolars and molars) where decay occurs most often. 


Which teeth are suitable for sealants?
The first and second permanent molars appear to benefit the most from application of pit and fissure sealants. The first permanent molar erupts in the mouth at the age of 6 years and the second molar at the age of 12 years. It is best to apply the sealant as soon as the tooth erupts into the mouth before any decay occurs.
Why should my child get sealants?
The sealant acts as a barrier, protecting enamel from plaque and acids. As long as the sealant remains intact, the tooth surface will be protected from decay. Sealants hold up well under the force of normal chewing, they may however require reapplication at regular intervals. Sealants thus aid in preventing cavities and save you from expensive fillings.
Should adults get sealants too?
The likelihood of developing pit and fissure decay begins early in life, so children and teenagers are obvious candidates. But adults can benefit from sealants as well.
If you’d like more information or want to consult us, contact our Practice to schedule an appointment over the phone on 011 41554777 or online on www.nandadental.com

11 comments:

  1. Greatly informative post! Plaques and acids gradually damage the teeth to a substantial level so sealants are very helpful in preventing from these. Though dental implant techniques are helpful in replacing decayed or damaged teeth but as we know 'prevention is always better than cure'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! I've been looking for some insight on finding a quality dentist in Oakville, but haven't had a whole lot of success. What would you recommend looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am needing to get dental sealants. Is there a best dentist in Hamilton that can do this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting and informative post for dental health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow a great article.. i would like to share with you guys about Chicago Dental care, You guys will be able to get great info how to protect your teeth http://www.chicagocosmeticdentistblog.com/Naperville_Dentist.html visit today and get your teeth protected. dental health is really important

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is really good to know that they are providing this kind of dental care for people. Is dental care included in the Affordable Care Act, by chance? That would be really nice if it was.

    http://www.centennialdentalcenter.com/services/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found out that I'm expecting and my doctor told me that I need to stay healthy including keeping my mouth healthy. This is all really good advice that I will keep in mind. I think next time I go to the dentist I'm going to have him put sealants on my teeth.

    http://www.craigdentalcare.com/family-dentistry/hygiene-services.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need a dental clinic to go to. I need to take my kids there. Their dental health is very important to me. http://www.beaumarisdentalclinic.com.au

    ReplyDelete